Saturday, March 7, 2009

Oracle Express edition and spfile

I had some interesting experience using Oracle Express edition few days ago.

Oracle Express is for developer or new DBA for their personal use as development platform or play ground. It designed to be auto managed and comes with Apex application for simple database administration and object browsing.

I installed it few days ago to test out a product and it is very easy to install. After installation, I logged in Apex application and found out I can set target SGA memory so I changed it to 50 MB and bounced database. Looks like a minor change, right? However, I can not start the database any more and it complained the memory was too small to load large pool. I do not know what an average developer would do at this point. I know I need to change spfile but to do that, I need to start up the instance. But I can not start up the instance because target SGA parameter setting in spfile is too small. It seems my only option was to reinstall database and lost all data I added in. I ended up to open the spfile with text editor and made a pfile out of it. So much for self management of Oracle Express.

No comments:

Post a Comment